2 cups all-purpose flour
2¼ teaspoons active dry yeast
2 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
1¾ cups milk
¼ cup water
¼ cup shortening
- In large mixer bowl, combine flour, yeast, sugar, salt, ginger and nutmeg; mix well.
- In saucepan heat milk, water and shortening to 120-130F (shortening does not need to melt); add to flour mixture. Add eggs. Blend at low speed until moistened; beat 2 minutes at medium speed until smooth.
- Cover; let rise in warm place until bubbly and doubled, about 1 hour. Stir down batter.
- Bake on greased griddle over medium heat until golden brown.
- Serve hot topped with syrup, warm applesauce or your favorite fruit sauce.
- For dessert pancakes, fill warm cakes with your favorite jam or preserves and roll, topping with whipped cream or powdered sugar.