2 cups all purpose flour
2 teaspoons instant yeast
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup lukewarm milk
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 tablespoon honey
4 oz cream cheese
toasted sesame seeds
For the Honey Syrup
3/4 cup sugar
2 tablespoons honey
1/2 cup water
- In a large mixing bowl, combine milk, oil, honey, and yeast; mix well.
- Sift flour, baking powder, and salt together and add to the wet ingredients. Mix with a spoon, then knead the dough for 5-8 minutes until it becomes elastic. You can add a little more flour if your dough seems too sticky. Cover the dough with a towel and let it rise for 1 hour or until it becomes double in volume.
- Turn the dough onto a wooden board dusted with a little amount of flour. Bring the dough together and knead a few times. Divide the dough into 20 balls.
- Flatten each ball and stuff with a teaspoonful of cream cheese. Pull up the sides of the ball and wrap around the filling, pinching it closed at top. Arrange the balls in a greased 9 or 10-inch oven proof skillet or round cake pan in honeycomb pattern. Cover and let them rise again for about 40 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 180˚C
- Brush the top with egg yolk wash and bake the buns for 25 minutes.
- To make the syrup, combine sugar, honey, and water and bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 3-4 minutes or until the syrup starts to reduce a little bit. Set aside until needed.
- When the buns come out of the oven, pour the syrup over the hot buns, and sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds on top. Cover the buns with a piece of foil and wait for 10 minutes. Serve warm or at a room temperature.